the fact that several nobiliary organisations of the highest social
standing and repute did not meet the qualifications for inclusion in
the "Nobiliary Corporations" section of this Register, the
Commission which met in Washington in 1984 established the new category
of "Other Nobiliary Bodies."
basis for inclusion in this category is that such bodies must be entirely
noble in composition and possess real historical and cultural relevance
within their indigenous society. They may be armigerous and possess uniforms
or insignia, but such attributes do not in themselves constitute qualifications
for recognition. Synthetic nobiliary bodies, founded as a result of purely
private initiatives and lacking historical and cultural relevance do not
qualify for inclusion in this list.
The following is a limited list of several nobiliary bodies whose status
is fully accepted by the Commission. It is probable that the list will
be augmented from time to time.
d'Information et de Liaison des Associations Nobles d'Europe (CILANE)
This organisation, which has its Seat in Paris, includes the following
- Vereinigung der Deutschen Adelverbande - VdDa (Germany).
- Corpo della Nobiltà Italiana - CNI (Italy).
- Nederlandse Adelsvereneniging - NAV (Netherlands).
- Association de la Noblesse du Royaume de Belgique - ANRB (Belgium).
- Assoçiãcao da Nobreza Histórica de Portugal - ANHP
- Hidalgos de España - AHE (Spain).
- Union de la Noblesse Russe - UNR (Russia).
- Maison de la Noblesse Finlandaise - Ritarihuone (Finland).
- Association des Familles Suisses - AFS (Switzerland).
- Association de la Noblesse Française - ANF (France).
- Commission and Association for Armigerous Families of Great Britain
- AFGB (Great Britain).
- Réunion de la Noblesse Pontificale - RNP (Holy See).
- Maison de la Noblesse Suédoise - Riddarhuset (Sweden).
Corps of Gentlemen at Arms 
Captain pro tempore: Lord Bruce Joseph Grocott, Baron Grocott.
Uniform: The uniform of a Heavy Dragoon Guards officer of the 1840s. It
has a skirted red coat with Garter blue velvet cuffs and facings embroidered
with the Tudor royal badge of the Portcullis. Helmets with white swan
feather plumes are worn when on duty, even in church. Officers wear gold
aiguillettes and carry sticks of office which they receive from the Sovereign
on appointment. Cavalry swords are worn, and long ceremonial battle-axes,
over 300 years old, are carried by all the Gentlemen.
Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs 
Convenor: The Rt. Hon. Earl of Elgin and Kincardine, K.T., Chief of the
Name and Arms of Bruce.
Secretary: George Way of Plean, Baron Plean, Procurator Fiscal of Lyon
Arms: Azure, three eagle's feathers Or surmounted at the base by a hurt
environed of a circlet Or.
Badge: Three eagle's feathers Or surmounted at the base by a hurt environed
of a circlet Or charged (at option of the Standing Council) with the words
"Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs".
Royal Company of Archers (The Queen's Bodyguard for Scotland)
Founded: 1676 & 1822.
Captain General and Gold Stick for Scotland: The Rt. Hon. Earl of Airlie,
Arms: Vert, three arrows Proper, barbed and feathered
Argent, one in pale and two in saltire surmounted by an escutcheon Or,
charged with a lion rampant within a double tressure flory counterflory
of fleur-de-lys Gules and ensigned with an imperial crown Proper.
Supporters: Two archers with bows in their exterior hands, that on the
dexter in the uniform of the company in the year 1716, that on the sinister
in that of the year 1816.
Motto: ARCU ATQUE ANIMO.
Uniform: A field-green uniform, the bonnet bearing eagle feathers, three
for the Captain-General, two for Officers, and one for Archers.
Brotherhood of the Holy Chalice of Valencia [Real Hermandad del Santo
Caliz - Cuerpo de la Nobleza Valenciana]
Badge: On a lozenge Or, four bars Gules, charged with an oval escutcheon
bearing the Holy Chalice of Valencia.
Military Establishment of the Principality of Gerona, Confraternity of
Saint George [Real Estamento Militar del Principado de Gerona]
Badge: On a Cross of Saint George Gules, edged Or, four swords Argent,
Most Ancient and Very Illustrious Confraternity of Noble Knights of Our
Lady of Portillo of Zaragoza [Real, Antiquísima y Muy Ilustre Cofradía
de Caballeros Nobles de Nuestra Señora del Portillo]
Badge: The cross of "Sobrarbe" Gules, in the centre a roundel
Azure charged with a ruined wall bearing in the centre the portrait of
Our Lady of Portillo Proper flanked by two soldiers in armour Or, all
surmounted by the Royal Crown of Spain Or.
Chief: H.M. King Juan Carlos of Spain.
Brotherhood of "Infanzones" of Our Lady of Charity of the Imperial
Town of Illescas [Real Hermandad de Infanzones de Nuestra Senora de la
Caridad de la Imperial Villa de Illescas]
Badge: A voided cross flory Argent, in centre point a square charged with
Chief: H.M. King Juan Carlos of Spain.
Illustrious and Noble Brotherhood of Saint John the Evangelist of La Laguna
[Ilustre y Noble Esclavitud de San Juan Evangelista de la Laguna]
Badge: A crowned Eagle Or, holding in its beak a feather proper.
Ribbon: White edged green.
Most Illustrious Chapter of the Knights and Esquires of Cuenca [Cabildo
de Caballeros y Escuderos de Cuenca]
Badge: A plate charged in the centre with a cross flory Gules.
of the Nobility of the Ancient Kingdom of Mallorca [Union de la Nobleza
del Antiquo Reino de Mallorca]
Badge: A plate charged in the centre with the shield of the Kingdom of
Majorca surmounted by a royal crown and placed on a Cross of Saint George
flanked by two mounted knights.
This is a ceremonial bodyguard founded by King Henry VIII in 1509 as a
mounted escort armed with spear and lance, to protect the Sovereign in
battle or on progress around the country. In 1526 the Corps began to do
duty at court on foot, carrying a battle-axe, as they still do today.
They last acted as a royal bodyguard in battle in the Civil War of 1642-9.
Today, the duties of the Honourable Corps are only ceremonial. Including
attendance on the Sovereign at State Arrivals of foreign Heads of State,
the Garter service at Windsor, the State Opening of Parliament, and the
Sovereign's evening reception for the Diplomatic Corps. The Corps is also
on duty when the Sovereign attends services of the Orders of Chivalry.
The Corps today consists of five Officers (the Captain [a political appointment
who is now always the Government Chief Whip in the House of Lords] the
Lieutenant, the Standard Bearer, the Clerk of the Cheque and the Harbinger)
and 27 Gentlemen, all former officers. (http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page3118.asp)
 The Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs was founded by the then Lord
High Constable of Scotland The Countess of Erroll on the advice and recommendation
of the late Sir Thomas Innes of Learney, Lord Lyon. Membership is by invitation
and open to Chiefs of Name with hereditary supporters and there is an
elective procedure. The Standing Council's function is to represent the
interest of the chiefs to the government and public. The Objects of the
Council, which is non-political, are to consider matters affecting Scottish
Chiefs and the Clans and Names which they represent and to submit their
views and interests to HM Government, to Departments of State, to Local
Authorities, to the Press and Public, to Associations connected with Clan
and Family in Britain and overseas; also to educate the general public
in matters connected with the rights, functions and historical position
of Scottish Chiefs, together with the Clans and Names which they represent
and to take such steps as may seem expedient to protect the titles; armorial
bearings or other insignia of Chiefs from exploitation or misuse in trade
or otherwise. The day-to-day administration is undertaken by the secretariat
based in Edinburgh. Among other things, the Council deals with requests
for information and assistance from members and enquiries from clansmen.
The Council meets once a year in full session to discuss matters of general
interest and concern. A close liaison is maintained between the Council
and the Lyon Court. (http://www.myclan./clanship/law/future.php and http://www.pip.com.au/~sahc/page11.html).
The Royal Company of Archers has its base in Edinburgh at Archers Hall
(built 1776). Today there are around 530 members, all of whom are of Scots
origin or have good Scottish connections.
The Royal Company of Archers' history can be traced back to 1676 when
it was originally founded by several Scottish noblemen as a private archers
club. The Company received a Royal Charter from Queen Anne in 1704 and
in consequence assumed the style "Royal". Notably, members have
acted as the sovereign's 'Body Guard for Scotland' since George IV's visit
to the Scottish capital in 1822. The Royal Company of Archers perform
duties at state and ceremonial occasions wearing their distinctive uniform
of tunic and Balmoral bonnet.
those cases where the chanceries of orders or sovereign houses
have failed to return current information, or the Commission
has been unable to determine the current status of the Grand
Mastership, the most up-to-date scientific documentary sources
have been used.
the Grand Mastership of an order is in dispute, we have sought
to include the names of the various claimants known to the Commission.
In such unfortunate cases it is to be hoped that the Royal Houses
or orders concerned will resolve the dispute by internal agreement.